Saturday, July 2, 2011

Mad Dreams


Finally it’s happened! Last night I got the call from Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce. All afternoon the office had been awash with excited whispering and I couldn’t help but notice people passing by my desk giving me knowing little grins. “Courtney’ll be next!” I heard at some point; and then the phone rang.

I was in such an agitated state by then that I could barely speak. When I tried to say my name a broken, petrified squeak was all that would come. Fortunately, Mr. Sterling didn’t let my momentary laryngitis keep him from asking the question or acknowledging my acceptance of the offer. As I hung up the receiver a remarkable satisfaction welled up inside of me.

And then I woke up, the gray of early morning clouding my bedroom, the sheets softly rustling as I grimaced, stretched and tried to focus, thinking all the while, “What the hell was that?!?”

Sure, I’ve been known to watch Mad Men from time to time, but apparently it has left more of a lasting impression than I’d realized. I had absolutely no idea I was interested in working for an ad agency, much less one set in the 60’s and run by chauvinistic womanizers who couldn’t get through a day without the nuanced caretaking of the women they take for granted.

Clearly my subconscious is trying to tell me something. Do I have deeply hidden aspirations to be on a television show? Is my desire to be a person of merit so strong that it’s manifested itself in random dreams? Or do I really dig the fashions of the early 60’s and wish I could get away with wearing them?

So many possibilities, yet so few answers.

There is also the strong possibility that it’s just been too hot at night and it’s messing with my head. I love summer! Don’t you?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woman, you seriously need to write a book! ;-P
    I get lost in your writing, love it!

    ReplyDelete